Friday, June 26, 2009

Yoga Indulgence, Melbourne-style!

I decided to give yoga a go in 1996, when the Yogendra Yoga Education Centre brought their style of yoga to the Monash University Short Course Centre. I was hooked from the first class. The only way to describe it, and the way many other yogis might describe their own experience, is that yoga made my body feel exactly the way it should: it felt stretched, it felt balanced, it felt strong, it felt VITAL.

Since those days I have dipped in and out of yoga and stumbled upon a number of different styles, but the majority of my experience has been with teachers of the Iyengar and Gita traditions. These traditions, while completely different, have provided me with immeasurable joy, and I continue to absorb their wisdom on a weekly basis. However, now that I am on the teacher training path I have decided to branch out: in other words, I am on a mission to indulge in the wealth of yogic experiences offered in my area of Melbourne.

A Google search of ‘yoga Melbourne northern suburbs’ elicited a huge number of results, and after a bit of sorting I have come up with a list of the first eight yoga classes to check out:


v Prana House (High St, Thornbury)
v Land of Yoga 5 hr class (Plenty Rd, Preston)
v All About Yoga (Melville St, Brunswick West)
v Gokula House Meditation Centre (440 Smith St, Collingwood)
v Satyananda with Satya Grierson (Eaglemont)
v Kundalini House (St Georges Rd, North Fitzroy)
v Ananda Marga (Clauscen St, North Fitzroy)
v Yoga in Daily Life (Corsair St, Richmond)

As of today I am on holidays from work for 2 weeks, giving me plenty of time to get out there and try new things!

Bee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bee,
    Let me know when you would like to visit Yoga in Daily Life in Richmond, so I can organize a meeting for you with one of our teachers who started yoga with Yogandra 40 years ago.
    Looking forward to meeting you,
    Swami Gopal

    ReplyDelete