Saturday, July 25, 2009

And the truth is....

It is not any deep, life-altering yogic truth that I am going to write about. It is a truth about myself, that although isn't particularly harmful, is darn ANNOYING.

I AM A PROCRASTINATOR. There, I said it. Big deal, I hear you say. And you're right, it's not a big deal, and I suspect most of us are guilty of procrastinating at one time or another. I find, though, that I don't just procrastinate when faced with boring or difficult tasks. I also faff about before doing something I have been looking forward to. I have been looking forward to spending time today, Sunday morning, to writed a journal entry for my yoga journal (a requirement for my teacher training course). I blocked out the time in my diary so I wouldn't have any distractions. And this is what I've done just this morning instead of getting stuck into writing:

* walked for an hour (good for physical and mental health, but still procrastinating)
* asana practice
* a load of washing
* called my sister
* opened and read Friday's mail, that I didn't open Friday because it seemed too boring then
* read a yoga newsletter
* tried to remove a light bulb that is stuck
* made several cups of coffee ('I'm going to start writing as soon as I've had this')
* checked several 'important' websites like Facebook and yoga blogs
* and now, blogging on my own blog

I now have 45 minutes left to complete a journal entry, as I'm busy this afternoon. And I'm sure when I speak to my friends later I will be complaining about how 'I've got no time for anything' and 'My yoga course takes up SOOOO much time'.

Gotta get out of this habit!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog. What style of yoga is your teacher training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bee - don't be too hard on yourself! We all put things off - sometimes the things we are most looking forward to (funny creatures, we humans!). Just breathe and try again next time. Progress is a day-by-day year-by-year thing. So take it easy - you have time to change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace. My yoga teacher training is in the Classical style, so lots of meditation and a big focus on Patanjali's yoga sutras. Asana features highly too, but I think Classical yoga is more meditation-heavy than some other styles.

    La Gitane, yes you're right...And the truth is everything gets done in the end, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete